Keeping pace with change is the new mantra for housing providers
Housing providers have changed substantially from the original roots of Social Housing, with many also becoming house builders (or working closely with house builders). And the sector is still going through massive change due to a number of factors:
- Demand continues to outstrip supply;
- property portfolios have become more diverse;
- new regulations are introduced;
- budgets are under mounting pressure;
- disparate, fragmented systems due to acquisitions and mergers;
- social policy is shifting constantly;
and often a mixture of the above.
Housing providers play a critical role in providing affordable homes, but in recent years, policy changes have heightened pressure to grow income from non-traditional sources – from providing social services, to partnering with commercial enterprises – that has resulted in an increasingly diverse set of operations and increasing demand on managing suppliers and contracts.